Sweden is Now Recycling 99 Percent of its Trash. Here’s how: http://themindunleashed.org/2014/09/sweden-now-recycling-99-percent- trash-heres.html
America should take note of this process considering we only recycle approximately 34 percent of the garbage we throw away: http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/nonhaz/municipal/pubs/2012_msw_fs.pdf
How does Sweden do it?
- They have an aggressive recycling policy, which goes in an order of importance: prevention, reuse, recycling, recycling alternatives, and as a last resort, disposal in landfill.
- Amazingly, just 1% of Sweden’s trash ends up in landfillsMuch of the left over waste is taken care of by using “recycling alternatives”, such as the Waste-to-Energy program, which is explained in the video, “Importing garbage for energy is good business for Sweden” http://vimeo.com/103801887
- Waste is sorted, then remaining waste is incinerated and converted into electricity
- 3 tons of garbage contains as much energy as 1 ton of oil
- Sweden is so good at recycling its trash in fact, that it now has plans to import 800,000 tons of garbage from other countries in Europe in order to create heat for its citizens through its Waste-to-Energy program.